Dr.Muhammad al-Tijani Al-Samawi
Region: Tunisian scholar
Birth Date: 2 February, 1943 in Gafsa, Tunisia
School Tradition: Shi'a Twelver
Influences: Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Muhammad Baqir al-Sadr
Al-Tijani is a Muslim born in Tunisia. As a student, he made a pilgrimage to Mecca, at which time he was influenced by orthodox Saudi teachings—which hold against saint veneration and tomb visitation (central beliefs to the North African Sufi tradition).
Later, Al-Tijani was influenced by an Iraqi student, Mun'im, who invited him to Iraq. Al-Samawi spent several weeks with Mun'im; visited Baghdad and Najaf, and met with several leading Shi'a scholars. These included: Grand Ayatollah Abul-Qassim Khoei (al-Khu'i), Sayyid Muhammad Baqir al-Sadr (Grand Ayatollah to-be) and Allameh Tabatabaei, who taught him about Islam. Eventually, he considered himself a Shi'i.
Al-Tijani's books are banned in some countries, such as Saudi Arabia. He has written five books:
- Then I was Guided: Then I Was Guided (Arabic Thumma Htadayt) is Al-Tijani's first book—in a series of books—which he wrote for a Sunni audience. In this series, he asks the Sunnis the same questions he wrestled with during his studies of Shi'a literature. The author finds the Shi'i argument for their account of history to be valid, while citing evidence which he claimed proved the Sunni view cannot withstand scrutiny.
- Ask Those Who Know: Ask Those Who Know is the second book in the series.
- To Be with the Truthful: The name of the book, To Be with the Truthful, is derived from a Quranic verse: "O you who believe, fear Allah and be with the Truthful". The work addresses the revelation of the Qur'anic verse. Revealed during the Farewell Pilgrimage on Mount Arafat, it is regarded as authentic in Sahih Bukhari. The book questions why Muslims do not celebrate that day as their greatest festival.The book also discusses the events of Ghadir Khumm and the meeting at Saqifah
- The Shi'ah are (the real) Ahl al-Sunnah Fa Siru Fi al-Ard: The title of The Shi'a: The Real Followers of the Sunnah (or Shiah Hum Ahl Al-Sunnah) is more accurately translated as "The Shi'ah are the real Ahl al-Sunnah".
- All Solutions Are with the Prophet's Progeny
Three of his books are also available in Urdu titled as:
- Aur Mein Hidayat Pa Gia; (another title of this book is "Tajalli")
- Ho Jao Sachchon Ke Saath
- Ehley Bait a.s Hallal Mushkilaa
A series of books by Muhammad al-Tijani with English translations
Striving for Right Guidance - A speech delivered by Dr. Muhammad al-Tijani al-Samawi